Principal Residence Exemption - Small businessess from 1 to 80 employees outsource your payroll management to us and let us worry about your payroll processing.
RSS Follow Become a Fan

Delivered by FeedBurner

Recent Posts

Tax changes to expect when you’re expecting
2016 Tax Tips for 2015 Filing Year
From Proprietorship to Corporation - When is the Best Time to Incorporate?
Tax Specialists Brief your Clients About CRA Fraud And E-Mail Scams
Bank of Canada cuts rates again

Most Popular Posts

Help your teenager build credit responsibly
Being an Executor of an Estate
Student Line of Credit
Principal Residence Exemption


aliko nutrition store- isotonix
aliko payroll services
canada revenue news and videos
canadian news
Cross border Tax
Disability awareness and Benefits for disabled
estate planning
Home Car Insurance
Income Splitting Strategies in Retirement
kids and money -set your children up for financial success
life insurance
on line safety tips
online safety tips
Real Estate - Investments / Retirement
Retirement planning
Save your money
small business planning
Tax Information for Students
tax news
tax planning
Tech news


January 2016
July 2015
May 2015
April 2015
February 2015
December 2014
November 2014
September 2014
August 2014
July 2014
June 2014
May 2014
April 2014
March 2014
February 2014
January 2014
December 2013
November 2013
October 2013
September 2013
August 2013
July 2013
June 2013

powered by


Principal Residence Exemption

Principal Residence ExemptionPrincipal Residence Exemption
When a principal residence is sold, the gain is not taxable if it has been the person's principal residence for the whole time it has been owned
 This is because the principal residence exemption eliminates the capital gain
In this case, there is no need to report the sale on your tax return.A taxpayer and spouse may only designate one principal residence between them for each tax year after 1981.  For years prior to 1982, each individual taxpayer can designate one principal residence, so if a couple has owned both a primary home and a cottage for decades, the principal residence exemption is available for both homes for the years prior to 1982.
The increase in value of the home from time of purchase is used to calculate the gain before deducting the principal residence exemption.  If a home has been owned since before 1972, only the increase in value since December 31, 1971 is used to calculate the gain before deducting the principal residence exemption. Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) usually considers that if there is more than 1/2 hectare (1.25 acres) of property, only 1/2 hectare of the land can be considered part of the principal residence, and there would be a capital gain on the excess when the property is sold, even if the rest is the principal residence. 
 However, they also consider whether the property is subdividable.  Thus, if the property is 2 hectares, and is not subdividable, they may consider the whole amount of the land to be part of the principal residence.If your home was not your principal residence for the whole time that you owned it, you will have to report the sale on your tax return, and calculate the principal residence exemption to deduct from your capital gain.
The principal residence exemption calculation is:(# of years home is principal residence + 1)  x capital gain
# of years home is owned
The extra year in the top of the equation means that when a person moves, both the old home and the new home will be treated as a principal residence in the year of the move, even though only one of them can actually be designated as such for that year.Example of principal residence exemption:taxpayer has owned their home for 20 yearsit has been their principal residence for only 14 yearsthe capital gain before the exemption is $100,000The exemption amount is (14 + 1)/20 x 100,000 = $75,000, leaving a capital gain of $25,000, and a taxable capital gain (50%) of $12,500.If you have both a home and a cottage, and sell one of them at a profit, you must make a decision as to whether to designate the sold property as your principal residence for some or all of the years it was owned.  If you sell a cottage that you have owned for 10 years, you could designate the cottage as your principal residence for the entire 10 years in order to eliminate capital gains tax, as long as you have not designated any other property as your principal residence during that time.This would mean that when you sell your home you will likely be paying capital gains tax, as you cannot also designate the home as your principal residence for those 10 years.  If you have a significant gain so far on your home but a small gain on the sale of the cottage, it might be best to save the exemption for the sale of your home.If you had sold a previous home at a gain say 4 years prior to selling the cottage, and did not declare the sale for capital gains purposes, then you can only claim the cottage as your principal residence for a maximum of 4 years.  This is because you were deemed to have claimed the principal residence exemption when you sold the previous home.
See also our article regarding a change in use of your home from principal residence to income producing, or from income producing to principal residence.  How you do things may affect whether or not you have to report a capital gain.
Canada Revenue Agency Resources:Principal residence and other real estateThe following income tax folio was published on March 28, 2013 in consultation format to allow for feedback from the tax community.  It will be available until June 28, 2013: S1-F3-C2: Principal Residence 
 Revised:  webbot bot="PurpleText" PREVIEW="Start of Google ad 336x280 BTF Filing Channel Filing Articles -targetable"

2 Comments to Principal Residence Exemption:

Comments RSS
house for sale on December-20-13 2:12 AM
Useful information shared about Principal Residence Exemption.I am very happy to read this article..Thanks for giving us nice info. Fantastic walk-through. I appreciate this post.
Reply to comment

los angeles real estate on January-29-14 6:00 PM
Hi, This page is very informative and fun to read. I am a huge follower of the things blogged about Principal Residence Exemption.. I also love reading the comments, but it seems like a great deal of readers need to stay on topic to try and add something to the original topic.
Reply to comment

Add a Comment

Your Name:
Email Address: (Required)
Make your text bigger, bold, italic and more with HTML tags. We'll show you how.
Post Comment